Make background wallpaper SOLID black like the launcher screen....??

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
If I swipe to the left on the launcher all subsequent screen bkgrnds are black. But swiping up from the launcher the bkgrnd isn't black it's a pitiful dark grey. Why is this?

I am using an all black .jpg that I made and it resides in the Gallery. I do not have "dark Mode" on, If I enable that, it makes the screen brownand ugly! Ecch!

Fwiw on the launcher screen, the backgrnd for the Google search bar isn't all black like the background of all the apps. I think it would be cool to have my black .jpg being used on all screens, plus for me it's easier to see.

many thanks,

25544 Norad
Samsung a01 Android 11 Stock launcher

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You may be seeing an 'overlay' when swiping up, which, if I'm not mistaken, summons Google Assistant. That's not part of the launcher and it's how the app's semi-transparent mode works. Also there is no setting (at least not in stock) that lets you change that app background behavior.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
If I swipe to the left on the launcher all subsequent screen bkgrnds are black. But swiping up from the launcher the bkgrnd isn't black it's a pitiful dark grey. Why is this?

I am using an all black .jpg that I made and it resides in the Gallery. I do not have "dark Mode" on, If I enable that, it makes the screen brownand ugly! Ecch!

Fwiw on the launcher screen, the backgrnd for the Google search bar isn't all black like the background of all the apps. I think it would be cool to have my black .jpg being used on all screens, plus for me it's easier to see.

many thanks,

25544 Norad
Samsung a01 Android 11 Stock launcher
Part of the reason you don't get true blacks is the screen on that phone is a TFT display not Amoled.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply... but. I do get a very nice black on the pages I mentioned in my post. Not to argue but if what you say is true then I wouldn't get a nice black on ANY screen including the launcher page as outlined. I'd be chuffed if I could get the same black on my other pages as I do on the launcher page.

Again: On the launcher page a left swipe brings me more good black screens, most off them are empty with no apps at all.
But swiping up on the launcher changes the nice black to a boring grey background for the icons shown

Regards. 25544

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply... but. I do get a very nice black on the pages I mentioned in my post. Not to argue but if what you say is true then I wouldn't get a nice black on ANY screen including the launcher page as outlined. I'd be chuffed if I could get the same black on my other pages as I do on the launcher page.

Again: On the launcher page a left swipe brings me more good black screens, most off them are empty with no apps at all.
But swiping up on the launcher changes the nice black to a boring grey background for the icons shown

Regards. 25544

OK, had to revert to the stock launcher on my Samsung phone (eek!). What you are referring to is not Assistant as I thought earlier, it's the app drawer (or the list of all your installed apps). Now, in Samsung's stock launcher, this does put a background blur/semi-transparent overlay when you open the drawer (it's more apparent as to what this does on a background with different colors or images). When you swipe to the sides, that's just another home screen, which doesn't add this overlay and displays the same background as every other home screen. Unfortunately this behavior cannot be changed in stock options. You can use a different launcher that does have such options, however (I personally use Nova and have been for several years now).

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Ok spookdroid thanks for experimenting on my behalf. I have often thought of changing launchers but was afraid I couldn't go back to stock.
apparently you can. Good news for me!

I will consider changing now that I have gained some knowledge.

Regards and be safe!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
OK, had to revert to the stock launcher on my Samsung phone (eek!). What you are referring to is not Assistant as I thought earlier, it's the app drawer (or the list of all your installed apps). Now, in Samsung's stock launcher, this does put a background blur/semi-transparent overlay when you open the drawer (it's more apparent as to what this does on a background with different colors or images). When you swipe to the sides, that's just another home screen, which doesn't add this overlay and displays the same background as every other home screen. Unfortunately this behavior cannot be changed in stock options. You can use a different launcher that does have such options, however (I personally use Nova and have been for several years now).

You can probably change it with goodlock...

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just to be clear, the Nova launcher WILL allow me to set the backgrounds as we discussed and bail out if I hate it? lol

Many tnx,

25544 ;)
Nova launcher lets you select the background colour in the app drawer. There's a free version that you can try before deciding to buy the Prime version with extra features, like gestures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunterm2